An elegant, two-story home built by one of Breckenridge’s early pioneers, the Robert Whyte House now provides a temporary residence and workspace for visiting artists, who in turn offer open studio hours and public demonstrations in their craft. Whyte built the home in 1889 on the grounds of the Grand Central Hotel, which he managed until it was destroyed by fire in 1884. Today’s structure occupies the same footprint and exhibits original historic elements, including a rough-sawn foundation wall that would have been covered in fabric years ago. Hardwood floors were salvaged from the 1909 schoolhouse down the street, and stones from the original basement decorate the landscaping. The Burro Barn and privy, also located on campus, were part of the original Whyte family property.
Live + work studio for visiting artists